F.O.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star4mation. The story of a reluctant musician.

4 posters

Go down

Star4mation. The story of a reluctant musician. Empty Star4mation. The story of a reluctant musician.

Post  Star4mation Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Star4mation. The story of a reluctant musician.

Neat title eh? Sorry, where was I?

Oh yeah. This is quite a short story realy. Re-wind to 2004. A friend gave me a copy of Dance e-jay. Cool software as I was listening to a lot of trance/dance type music.
I was working nights, and on a Friday the local radio station did a dance mix programme (it was realy bad, the dj didn't seem to have a clue on how to mix creatively and the tracks he was mixing were total crap!)
"Man! I could do better sounding stuff than that" I said to my friend! "Go on then" he said "you got the software" So I did, and No Aliens was created. (the name Star4mation was also created then, as an artist name)

Around this time I got very involved in 3d art with a programme called Bryce. I became obsessive about making art. It took over my life completely and making music was forgotten.

Fast forward to 2009. Got talking to someone called Terentek on the Hawkwind forum. I was saying how much I would love to make the art for a Hawkwind CD or failing that, any CD cover for a band in need! I know some people in the music industry he says, and invites me to the Anubes where I met all manner of musical talent (and more inportantly good friends)
Well I remembered the No Alien track that I had done, and uploaded it to a new site I had discovered called Ubetoo. I had written in my short Bio on Ubetoo that I was not a musician, and when Dace said I should join Mixposure I cut and pasted the Bio (too lazy to write a new one)

Well I got told off good and propper! Of course you're a musician everyone said. You make music don't you? Well yeah I suppose so, but I don't actually know how to play an instrument or put a string of notes together and know what they're called! So whilst everyone here and on the Mix that have encouraged and helped me devellop my musical "skills," consider me a musician, I think of myself more like a sonic soundscaper!
My music is mostly written, played and recorded in one take as a snapshot of the moment using a Korg Nanokey midi controller and a bank of VSTi's. Improv they call it. (Making it all up as you go along I call it! LOL)

That's about it realy. A short history written by you guys, Nigel, Dace, Z, Ed, Rick, Zest, Paul, peter, Jim............ because it was you who made Star4mation the Musician, and you who will help write the next chapter!! For all you've done so far, I thank you Smile

Damn!! That's nearly as long as one of Peter's posts!!! LOL:) (only joking Peter, your posts, whilst long, are a pleasure to read and most informative)

Hope you didn't fall asleep before the end of the post, guys and thank you all again for the encouragement and belief in my abilities to make music !

Steve:)
Star4mation
Star4mation
Admin

http://star4mation.daportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Star4mation. The story of a reluctant musician. Empty Re: Star4mation. The story of a reluctant musician.

Post  globaltrancemission Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Good post Steve...

Never think that you're not a musician ......if you make music then you are....pure and simple.

I find that quite often the trained and technical musicians lose all of their creativity and can only produce very boring technical music......so learn from what you listen to. Your ears are the most important part of your musical arsenal....but you have to learn to listen not just to the music but to what the musicaians are doing to create it.

Also......don't think that you have got nothing to say on some of these posts because we value your opinion equally here....you are one of us and we want to know what you think Smile

I only say that because you have often shied away in the past and I would rather hear your comments Smile

Good luck with your book and your artwork............now thats something you are undeniably good at.
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

http://www.globaltrancemission.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Star4mation. The story of a reluctant musician. Empty Re: Star4mation. The story of a reluctant musician.

Post  Star4mation Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Cheers peter Smile
I do find it difficult sometimes to comment on some of the more technical posts that you guys make (especially the guitar related ones.) I do love to read them all though and I am learning so much about how the sounds are made.
I've always watched any live act that I've been to see, not only for the performance, but to see what instruments they are using and how they are being played.
Star4mation
Star4mation
Admin

http://star4mation.daportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Steve...Great short story..Smile
Hey..I have your Album out in the Studio.
I have yet to even open it.
Im waiting to clear some studio-listening time.
I want to have peters Album when i listen to yours.
I DO have a stack going of stuff to listen to, and am getting near that time.

You just dont know how cool it is to see you get into music, do an Album and all.
Im very proud of you. And im proud to know you and to have helped you get into it.
Its really not hard, just record sounds, listen, repete..It all comes from that.
I can tell you this FOR SURE! YOU are off to a WAY faster start than any of us here.
You allready sound like you have been doing music years.
Yes, i understand the times let that happen, PCs ect...But, yes..Great start man!
Whats even cooler is, I love your music! It has heart and soul and flow and vibe.
I can tell your letting it just come out. DONT change that! just record, and listen, record and listen.
I really AM very proud of you, and FOR you.
It give us music-guys ALOT. You made it worth it for us.
THANKS.
DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GinjaBug Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:17 pm

hey great story, steve...you have made some cool tracks so far from what i've heard. i agree with you about some radio DJs today. they are getting lazy with their mixing style...i remember here in chicago in the 90's the house and dance music was so creative and almost spiritual...now it's nothing but pop music and they've forgotten the underground sounds...those that aren't in it for the money, but the music was exilent! bounce
GinjaBug
GinjaBug

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=693311

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Here is how Steve and got together in music.
http://www2.mixposure.com/Star4mation/song_focus_16529.php

Steve had 3 tunes up on mix. I took them and put them together as one track.
Then did guitar and vocals on it.
Its prob one of my best collabs.
I love it alot.
ENJOY!

DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down