F.O.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby Just Close Your Eyes (Gotham Steel and Darkstarcruiser collaboration)

5 posters

Go down

Baby Just Close Your Eyes (Gotham Steel and Darkstarcruiser collaboration) Empty Baby Just Close Your Eyes (Gotham Steel and Darkstarcruiser collaboration)

Post  z Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:00 pm

I did the basic track with simple drums, rhythm guitar, bass and vocals,
then Peter took it to the next level with a lot of cool additions (percussion, synths, lead guitar)

It's quite a powerful blend!! I really enjoy how it turned out!

Thanks Peter!

Z
z
z
Admin

http://atomicforcerecords.com

Back to top Go down

Baby Just Close Your Eyes (Gotham Steel and Darkstarcruiser collaboration) Empty Re: Baby Just Close Your Eyes (Gotham Steel and Darkstarcruiser collaboration)

Post  globaltrancemission Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Enjoyed doing this one.....no synths used on this Shocked

Firstly it needed some beefed up drums so I overlaid the drum track with one I wrote using an Epic Rock kit on my Zoom drum machine using MIDI sync to time it exact.
Then I added the guitar riff that you hear at the start using a pitchshifted guitar -7 steps so it had a lower note harmonising.
This was also played in the guitar breaks too.
The lead guitar has another pitchshifter -12 steps (1 octave added).This created harmonising guitar parts which sound huge like a wall of sound.
The rest is done in the mixing and mastering stage.

Guitar used for both parts was the new AXL Strat

I am really pleased with the way it came out Smile Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

http://www.globaltrancemission.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Baby Just Close Your Eyes (Gotham Steel and Darkstarcruiser collaboration) Empty Re: Baby Just Close Your Eyes (Gotham Steel and Darkstarcruiser collaboration)

Post  z Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:35 pm

globaltrancemission wrote:Enjoyed doing this one.....no synths used on this Shocked

Firstly it needed some beefed up drums so I overlaid the drum track with one I wrote using an Epic Rock kit on my Zoom drum machine using MIDI sync to time it exact.
Then I added the guitar riff that you hear at the start using a pitchshifted guitar -7 steps so it had a lower note harmonising.
This was also played in the guitar breaks too.
The lead guitar has another pitchshifter -12 steps (1 octave added).This created harmonising guitar parts which sound huge like a wall of sound.
The rest is done in the mixing and mastering stage.

Guitar used for both parts was the new AXL Strat

I am really pleased with the way it came out Smile Smile

I thought you were using some pitchshifting!
Cool info!

It turned out totally different than I thought it would -- but in a good way!
That's the cool thing about collabs is there's always some surprises along the way. Cool

Glad you got to try out the AXL! I bet it plays real nice!

Z

z
z
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:49 pm

The AXL is a surprisingly good guitar considering its price.

The riff at the start was using the Bridge Humbucker and the Middle SC together and the lead part was just the Bridge Humbucker.

Guitar sounds nice clean too....got that lovely nasal hollow Strat twang on the SC's and the neck PU is nice and thick sounding.

OK.....regarding the collab:

On the original track the drums were too weak....that's why I had to get my MIDI sync working with audio....its OK now.First job was to get a powered up drum sound to add to the drive of the track. You need to look at using this more in your tracks Z.....while your guitar growls nicely it needs a driving beat behind it....there's the proof Smile

The pieces left to fill in only had a drum track.....I had hoped you would leave a bassline in so I had to improvise.
Using the pitchshifter adds a bass note below the guitar so the simple riff filled it out nicely.

Lead guitar......well I could have just added a lead guitar but I figured that if that was all I did then it would only be similar to what you would have done yourself so I opted for a harmony guitar.
Doing the lead with a pitchshifter added a nice fat lead double guitar sound.....very 80's rock...and it blended with the other riff I used so it was like 2 x double guitar parts.
It was an experiment that gave me a sound I was very pleased with and it all counterbalanced the verses nicely so the song has light and shade.

Really enjoyed doing it and I really liked the song.....its very catchy. I thought it had a slight touch of Nirvana but with more mellow vocals and bigger guitar sounds.

Must do more in the future Smile

Its your song Z ....would like to see you post it on Mix and Sound awesome....I'm proud of my part and yours was a great foundation.

Having listened to your songs for quite sometime I often wondered what would happen adding my guitars and this was very cool.

My prime aim was to retain the Gotham Steel sound ..... which is why I did not use synths....but to try out a different creative approach to the lead guitar parts. There is nothing wrong with your lead parts normally.....but you must admit changing the formula can stimulate new ideas.

I'm glad you're happy with it z Smile Smile Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:56 pm

globaltrancemission wrote:The AXL is a surprisingly good guitar considering its price.

The riff at the start was using the Bridge Humbucker and the Middle SC together and the lead part was just the Bridge Humbucker.

Guitar sounds nice clean too....got that lovely nasal hollow Strat twang on the SC's and the neck PU is nice and thick sounding.

OK.....regarding the collab:

On the original track the drums were too weak....that's why I had to get my MIDI sync working with audio....its OK now.First job was to get a powered up drum sound to add to the drive of the track. You need to look at using this more in your tracks Z.....while your guitar growls nicely it needs a driving beat behind it....there's the proof Smile

The pieces left to fill in only had a drum track.....I had hoped you would leave a bassline in so I had to improvise.
Using the pitchshifter adds a bass note below the guitar so the simple riff filled it out nicely.

Lead guitar......well I could have just added a lead guitar but I figured that if that was all I did then it would only be similar to what you would have done yourself so I opted for a harmony guitar.
Doing the lead with a pitchshifter added a nice fat lead double guitar sound.....very 80's rock...and it blended with the other riff I used so it was like 2 x double guitar parts.
It was an experiment that gave me a sound I was very pleased with and it all counterbalanced the verses nicely so the song has light and shade.

Really enjoyed doing it and I really liked the song.....its very catchy. I thought it had a slight touch of Nirvana but with more mellow vocals and bigger guitar sounds.

Must do more in the future Smile

Its your song Z ....would like to see you post it on Mix and Sound awesome....I'm proud of my part and yours was a great foundation.

Having listened to your songs for quite sometime I often wondered what would happen adding my guitars and this was very cool.

My prime aim was to retain the Gotham Steel sound ..... which is why I did not use synths....but to try out a different creative approach to the lead guitar parts. There is nothing wrong with your lead parts normally.....but you must admit changing the formula can stimulate new ideas.

I'm glad you're happy with it z Smile Smile Smile

Nice! I love all the "making of" details.
It will be up on Mix and SoundAwesome shortly....

I totally agree about the percussion. That is the first step for the next album.
I'm going to lay down some percussion layers and get a consistent *sound* that I can use on the whole album.
(instead of my usual random choice stuff).

It's not that each track will have the same percussion, but it will sound as if the same drummer using
the same sort of gear and mic--ing did it.

Z

z
z
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Strangesmile Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Z and Darkstar,

I like the Guitar Work, they comes like a wall of Stones and Mistery with the Voice Cool looking forward for the Keys i think you working on this, nice Work at the Moment Smile

Ralf
Strangesmile
Strangesmile

http://strange-smile.soundawesome.com

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:21 am

Strangesmile wrote:Hi Z and Darkstar,

I like the Guitar Work, they comes like a wall of Stones and Mistery with the Voice Cool looking forward for the Keys i think you working on this, nice Work at the Moment Smile

Ralf

Hi Ralf

Glad you liked it Smile No keys on this....thats the finished track. It works best as a guitar track and using keys would change the style too much. I wanted to capture Z's sound which was pure Rock Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:30 am

Nice! I love all the "making of" details.
It will be up on Mix and SoundAwesome shortly....

I totally agree about the percussion. That is the first step for the next album.
I'm going to lay down some percussion layers and get a consistent *sound* that I can use on the whole album.
(instead of my usual random choice stuff).

It's not that each track will have the same percussion, but it will sound as if the same drummer using
the same sort of gear and mic--ing did it.

Z....Thats cool....try to find a kit that is big and rocks and also get it sounding strong in the mix.

That is the key to driving that powerful guitar sound that you already have going so well.

You might like to look at more experimentation on your lead guitar sounds.....not the playing but the sounds you use . Using effects like pitch shifting can really lift a track but also there are other effects too. Flangers, Chorus,Wah Wah and Delays can all add something special.

I enjoyed doing the track and we will do more at some point if you want to.
Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Star4mation Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:36 am

Wicked track guys!! Hope you do some more together. Love it Smile
Star4mation
Star4mation
Admin

http://star4mation.daportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:41 am

Star4mation wrote:Wicked track guys!! Hope you do some more together. Love it Smile

Thanks Steve....Z sent me a great song and I just added a bit of my own brand of style to it...it came out real good Smile

I'm up for doing more if Z wants to Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:57 am

Good ideas Peter. Yeah, one cool thing about the Line6 Flextone I have is that it
has a lot of "classic FX" built into it (like Univibe, Phaser, Flanger,....).

I want to expand my range of scales I am using for the lead parts as well as the tones and FX.

Definitely up for doing more collabs with you--just a matter of slipping them in when I have
time.... Very Happy

Recording one now using some of these ideas. But I need the family to leave so I can scream the lyrics.... Shocked

Z
z
z
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Posted at the Mix:

Darkstarcruiser:

That was a really good song to work with Z. Very catchy hook line that I just couldn't help expanding out into the cosmos with a little of my magic space dust.
Must do this again sometime :-)

Global Trancemission:

WOW...What a great collab...hard driving beats and rhythm...and those guitars send you off into the heavens.

Oh....nearly forgot to mention...that Darkstarcruiser and Global Trancemission are both the same person LOL.

Do you think anyone will notice Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:28 pm

globaltrancemission wrote:Posted at the Mix:

Darkstarcruiser:

That was a really good song to work with Z. Very catchy hook line that I just couldn't help expanding out into the cosmos with a little of my magic space dust.
Must do this again sometime :-)

Global Trancemission:

WOW...What a great collab...hard driving beats and rhythm...and those guitars send you off into the heavens.

Oh....nearly forgot to mention...that Darkstarcruiser and Global Trancemission are both the same person LOL.

Do you think anyone will notice Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for the double-review!!!

It's one of those songs that sounds better each time through. It has a nice complexity
to it from the AXL and FX you added. Cool

Z

z
z
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:58 am

Wow . the AXL sounds awesome Peter, warm, very nice round-tone to it.
FX sound super great!
Great tune guys.

The opening feel AND tone, playing, reminds me of the STONES! Thats a pretty big comp from me. Impressive intro vibes, and tones.

Yes, AGREE, NO keys here...It dont need them for anything.! FULL on guitars.

OK...Bad ass tune!

Cool Cool

DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 am

DACE wrote:Wow . the AXL sounds awesome Peter, warm, very nice round-tone to it.
FX sound super great!
Great tune guys.

The opening feel AND tone, playing, reminds me of the STONES! Thats a pretty big comp from me. Impressive intro vibes, and tones.

OK...Bad ass tune!

Cool Cool

DACE>

Thanks Dace!

All these collabs, and your powerful tunes are inspiring me....

Z

z
z
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:37 am

DACE wrote:Wow . the AXL sounds awesome Peter, warm, very nice round-tone to it.
FX sound super great!
Great tune guys.

OK...Bad ass tune!

Cool Cool

DACE>

Thanks DACE.....AXL is a very cool guitar for the price...outstanding value.

The Korg has a lot to do with the sounds on here....fabulous pitchshifters...I just love both these things...money well spent I reckon Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Yes, sound like it Peter.
Im liking the tones.
DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down