F.O.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curing Single coil Hum.

3 posters

Go down

Curing Single coil Hum. Empty Curing Single coil Hum.

Post  globaltrancemission Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Always had a problem with hum from my Jaguar and I put it down to the low power PU's that were made back in the 60's.
However I got to thinking that maybe....just maybe....it was time I tried a new high quality guitar lead so I bought one of these.
Curing Single coil Hum. X02_146528

http://store.daddario.com/category/146514/Custom_Series?language_id=1¤cy_id=1

It came today and it was well worth the investment....not cheap for a lead but a highly recommended product for this problem.

I knew my leads were very old so it was time for a replacement and paying the extra for a good noiseless lead is something that is worth doing if you play single coil guitars.....improves the tone also Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

http://www.globaltrancemission.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Curing Single coil Hum. Empty Re: Curing Single coil Hum.

Post  DACE Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:07 pm

VERY TRUE!....I have had some VERY high $ cords in the past..money WELL spent...But they went bad over time like all cords. SO, what i did was to try all the low-end cords to find the best one in that price range, 10 to 20 bucks. What i found to be the best was the FENDER 10 foot California Cools...There VERY heavy plastic coated cords. Not only does this keep them from knoting up on you, they last longer, and (I) feel there insulated better because of the VERY heavy coating they have. 10 bucks for a 10 foot cord. Of ALL the lowend cords, they sound the best to me. More power and clear. Cheap and last a long time.

I like the RED ones the best.. Laughing The blue ones piss me off, only cause there blue.... Laughing They come in Green also. but i would want to smoke those.. Laughing so i keep with the RED ones... Laughing

But yes, if ya got the cash, get the GOOD cords. I tried to tell Z that, but i dont think he listens to me ... Laughing Nah..he does, but.... Laughing Since he aint around, I will RAG on him... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Hi Z... Shocked

DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:55 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked

No worries. I have a couple good cords. It does make a difference.

By FAR the biggest amount of hum generated by single-coils is because the pickups themselves are picking up
noise. They aren't well shielded, so they act like antennas.

The three best things I've found that help are:

1. Make SURE the bridge is grounded (otherwise the strings will act like antennas too)
2. Make SURE there are NO flourescent lights in the room (they generate 60HZ hum [maybe 50HZ in the UK])
3. Turn while you are playing and stay in the position of LEAST HUM. There will be a position that is less HUM
than others because of the way the coils in the pickups work.

If the pickups are generating the hum, you can have a MILLION DOLLAR cable and it will make no difference
(because the hum is already in the signal).

But if you have a CHEAP cable, and it runs near an electrical cable or winds around an electrical cable,
then the cable itself will be a problem.

Hi Dace!!!

Z
z
z
Admin

http://atomicforcerecords.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:11 am

Hi Z..Smile

Another thing iv found is stay away from digi-amps a few feet. Theres a BAD loop around them. Even overides the NR... Shocked Think it has to do with the speaker because i never had that prob with the POD.

DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 am

"But if you have a CHEAP cable, and it runs near an electrical cable or winds around an electrical cable,
then the cable itself will be a problem.""

Sure right there...ANY cords should stay away from any power cord, mostly transformer types.

DACE>

DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 am

""Make SURE there are NO flourescent lights in the room (they generate 60HZ hum [maybe 50HZ in the UK])""

BUT IF you need a tuner and dont have one, these lights HUM at A-440..Smile or REAL near that.....Smile

DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:25 am

DACE wrote:""Make SURE there are NO flourescent lights in the room (they generate 60HZ hum [maybe 50HZ in the UK])""

BUT IF you need a tuner and dont have one, these lights HUM at A-440..Smile or REAL near that.....Smile

DACE>

Yeah, they do! because the harmonics of 60HZ are 120HZ, 240HZ, and 480HZ -- so the 480HZ harmonic is just
a touch above A440.

Good call out!

Z
z
z
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 am

Most appiliances, like Vacuum's, food mixers, ect also about 440.

Its funny, cause we all learn different ways. Im sure you know this from schooled learning, me from life-learning. At some point i was playing guitar and heard all these things.

DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 pm

DACE wrote:Most appiliances, like Vacuum's, food mixers, ect also about 440.

Its funny, cause we all learn different ways. Im sure you know this from schooled learning, me from life-learning. At some point i was playing guitar and heard all these things.

DACE>

I started out with an A440 tuning fork.... now I kind of hear A440 in my head (actually the next octave up -- 12th fret).

But I always tune with my tuner these days.

Z
z
z
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 pm

I NEVER play without tuning first...Yes, my ear is pretty good also.

DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:34 pm

DACE wrote:I NEVER play without tuning first...Yes, my ear is pretty good also.

DACE>

I hear ya. My recording studio is in the basement, and the heat vent is in the ceiling.
I HAVE TO tune every time I touch a guitar. Seriously. The temperature in that room is ALL OVER THE PLACE.

I can tune by ear, but lately I prefer the comfort of the tuning needle telling me where I am.

Z
z
z
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DACE Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:35 pm

UK company..Smile teamed with PRS! CORDS!
http://www.guitarworld.com/article/namm-2011-prs-cables
Research in order..Smile