F.O.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Guitar Multi FX Unit

4 posters

Go down

New Guitar Multi FX Unit Empty New Guitar Multi FX Unit

Post  globaltrancemission Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:02 pm

I decided to buy myself a Christmas present and get a new effects unit for guitars.

I spent some time playing around with my old Digitech AP300 and I realised that it was actually killing my tone !!!!!

So I spent a few days deliberating and checking out online demos to find something special that would work for me and not be too expensive.
First thing I looked at was the Line 6 Pods because I know that you both use them. Well the Pod 2 has great sounds but I wanted something more flexible and creative.....I liked the Pod X3....but at £278 GB that was out of my price range.

I didn't want another Digitech and the Behringer V Amps are really just similar to the Pod.

Also I needed an Expression Pedal.

So I was looking at what the supplers had and I found this :

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/effects/ax3000g/fx_ax3000g.asp

New Guitar Multi FX Unit Hero_ax3000g

Now I like Korg products.....they make great synths......so I checked out the demos on You Tube.

I was very impressed and I found out it has some really unique features which will be very useful to me.

Also , although this is a high spec product the price was just £139 GB / $214 US.

I got it today on 24 hour delivery and so far it sounds really cool....it really enhances the sounds of my Fender Jaguar.

Its a real moster too 20ins wide and 9.75 ins deep......its bigger than my Access Virus synth and its built like a tank.....solid steel.

When I have got to grips with it There will be some demos coming Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

http://www.globaltrancemission.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New Guitar Multi FX Unit Empty Re: New Guitar Multi FX Unit

Post  DACE Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 pm

AWESOME GEAR RIGHT THERE!

KILLER PETER!

OK, a "tip"...start with a perset and adjust it to your liking. This is the BEST tip i can give with these type things. Persets sound OK at first, but with some adjusting WAY better.

You will learn the pedal faster like that also, because is set to something allready, and most of them are setup with different FXs.

Ofcourse go stereo out to your PC. And as you know, it a peramp of sorts, so levels need to be set "low'ish".

You know all this I know, just excited for you..Smile

cheers cheers

I CANT WAIT to hear this! Gona be COOL!

Great move not getting a POD because its a recording interface really. Not so much an FX box. A POD is just a good way to record basic sounds, the FX are not great on them. Well, on the 2.0 that is.

Happy about this Peter..Smile

DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:25 pm

DACE wrote:AWESOME GEAR RIGHT THERE!

KILLER PETER!

OK, a "tip"...start with a perset and adjust it to your liking. This is the BEST tip i can give with these type things. Persets sound OK at first, but with some adjusting WAY better.

You will learn the pedal faster like that also, because is set to something allready, and most of them are setup with different FXs.

Ofcourse go stereo out to your PC. And as you know, it a peramp of sorts, so levels need to be set "low'ish".

You know all this I know, just excited for you..Smile

cheers cheers

I CANT WAIT to hear this! Gona be COOL!

Great move not getting a POD because its a recording interface really. Not so much an FX box. A POD is just a good way to record basic sounds, the FX are not great on them. Well, on the 2.0 that is.

Happy about this Peter..Smile

DACE>

Thanks DACE......Yes I did know all that.....Remember I have been using a Digitech Multi (AP300) and I bought this as a much better upgrade.....not just for the FX but to get a better tone .

Remember though.....I don't record guitars to the PC....I go into a mixer and record on a 16 track HD recorder.

I have been playing with the settings already today and the tone is amazing. This unit has chorus and delay effects that are really pro sounding.....things like double phaser which combines two phasers at once where you can set different rates and depths.

I like the clean guitar sounds on it.....they work so well with my Jaguar with a few tweaks. Also got great noise reduction which really cuts the hum from my single coils.

Its real easy to adjust the effect settings too because its all done with knobs like an analogue synth.

There are more complex things sitting there under the hood though waiting to learned.

This unit has synth sounds in that can be played with your guitar.

It also has a Step Sequencer.....that is unique.....which can play trills and complex arpeggios.....fast metal !!!

Also got midi on it.......means that with my midi interface I can build a library of sounds and edit it from my computer (I downloaded the software from Korg free) also I can record changes or pedal movements into a sequencer like Cubase or Sonar. Sounds a bit complex but I already know how to do that with midi because it works just like a synth.

These units are quite easy for me to learn as they work very much like a synth except of course that the guitar replaces the keys and the sounds are different.

I'll work on getting this together and then put some demos together to post here.

This will be awesome for Ambient and for Spacerock too Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Star4mation Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Cool bit of kit Peter! Now I'm not the only one here using Korg gear! LOL Smile
Star4mation
Star4mation
Admin

http://star4mation.daportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Star4mation wrote:Cool bit of kit Peter! Now I'm not the only one here using Korg gear! LOL Smile

I have other Korgs Steve Smile

Let see......I have a Korg Electribe sampler....don't use it much though ....it's easier to use samples on the PC.

I have a Korg Kaoss pad.....great fun to use with lots of FX....and cheap...really a DJ tool.

Oooh and last....but certainly not least my Korg Prophecy synth....now vintage and collectable. Smile

The Prodigy used one of these on Firestarter and Smack My Bitch Up.....and Ed of the Ozrics uses one live and in the studio.......you can hear it all over the Jurrassic Shift album.

New Guitar Multi FX Unit Prophecy
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Oh! Shiny! I like it!
That will be really fun for you to experiment with Peter!

Enjoy!

Z
z
z
Admin

http://atomicforcerecords.com

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:34 pm

z wrote:
Oh! Shiny! I like it!
That will be really fun for you to experiment with Peter!

Enjoy!

Z

I bought that a few years ago Z off e-bay. Its got a history as it belonged to a band called Pitchshifter who are fairly famous. They were on one of the soundtracks for The Crow films. I have signed paperwork giving it provenance.

Its actually a monosynth and was one of the first physical modelling synths. It is very complex to program even though it has lots of knobs. There are pages and pages of menus.
I have editing software so that you can do it on the computer but it is still difficult and very time consuming.
Thats why I don't use it very often.....but I still sometimes tinker around with it and it has great powerful sounds.

Because its a monosynth it was often compared to a Moog but its digital virtual analog and has 12 different oscillator types compared to the moogs single type.

Made in 1995 and at that time they cost £1000 !!!!!

Check this out :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/oct95/korgprophecy.html

Been playing with the new Korg guitar effects and its great. Some totally unusual creative sounds in there as well as having quality standard type sounds. It has brought my Jaguar to life.....brings out the tones beautifully. No doubt you will be hearing it soon.
I have already saved about five new presets that I programmed today. Smile
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down