F.O.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peter's Story

4 posters

Go down

Peter's Story Empty Peter's Story

Post  z Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:20 pm

I believe we all are now on a voyage of discovery and the great thing is that we are feeding off each other to get there.

Here's some ancient history :

The guitar was the first instrument that I learned. I always wanted to play right from a youngster but it did not come naturally.
In 1977 when I was 26 I bought a real cheap basic Audition guitar and a clapped out practice amp. I tried learning from the usual starters books which were rubbish for rock styles until I found one that was new at the time on Blues and Rock Rhythm guitar.
I started my learning and quickly went on to bar chords which quickly taught me the different keys. I learned about 12 bar blues and turnarounds and fingerpicking.....I felt I was getting somewhere.
I then bought the follow up book and learned my Rock and Blues scales with much practise until I could play in any key anywhere on the neck.
This probably took me about 18 months to 2 years.

I happened to read a local paper and I saw that an old school friend had a punk/ new wave band. Punk was dying out by then and it was New wave that was the so called fashion.
Most of the music was well within my grasp.....3 or 4 chords and simple lead lines.

He knew some other people starting a band so I joined up with another guitarist and a girl singer and we found a bass player and a drummer.

They wrote their own songs.......not very good ones......and we mainly did improv around the basic songs while the drummer and bassplayer kept time. I played some small lead parts and a second rhythm guitar while the other guitarist just pounded out chords Punk style (that was his roots).

The band did not last long but we did a few gigs ....some chaotic but fun....and some very bizarre ones.

I couldn't stand the ego problems and the hard work of setting up ....doing a gig....then packing up .....with no real money....on top of trying to do a day job .....well it didn't work.

So I carried on at home just jamming to my old rock records and learning as I went.

My friend's band broke up too so in the 80's we decided to put some tapes together by bouncing tracks across 2 cassette tapes and using a mixer. We had amps ,mics, and effect pedals and an old Copicat echo unit. I also got my first synth....a second hand Roland SH09.

We made about 2 albums worth of songs based on 60's psychedelic garage music and had a lot of fun. That was basically where I started learning to put mixes together and it got me off to a good start later. I still have some of the cassettes somewhere but we had no drums and drum machines were only just appearing and were quite rubbish at the time so we just used a bass drum that I programmed on the Roland.
The Roland was analogue and had no presets....and this was way before midi .....so you could only program and use one sound at a time. It had no memory....this was way before chips too.

My friend found other interests after that so we stopped making music at his house and I bought an early Fostex portastudio cassette 4 track. I didn't make much in the way of tracks and for a lot of the time I hardly played just enough to keep my hand in.

Then in the late 80's we had Acid House and Techno followed by Rave and Trance.......and by now I was getting interested again. So slowly I started by trading the SH09 for a digital midi synth and getting an Atari that could control midi.

From there a PC soon followed and the learning curve started again but with synths and midi.

I still kept my hand in with the guitar although I wasn't using it within my music until around 2004/5 I plucked up the courage to do it and recorded a song called Under A Purple Moon on the old Mixposure. It was around then that Nigel who had already been giving me reviews for my synth music invited me to the Anubes.

So there you have a small potted history

I was very paranoid at first about laying down guitar tracks......I had no confidence in my playing and therefore I made too many mistakes when I tried recording. But Nigel and DACE encouraged me to keep on.....they could hear something in my playing.
After making more tracks my confidence grew and now i feel at home putting a guitar track down.......no problem.

I hope I haven't bored you with my story but in a way its liberating to put it all down in print......so thanks for listening

www.globaltrancemission.co.uk

www.soundclick.com/alienaudioexperience

http://www.darkstarcruiser.com

z
z
Admin

http://atomicforcerecords.com

Back to top Go down

Peter's Story Empty Re: Peter's Story

Post  DACE Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Great idea Z.
Great read Peter.
Thanks to both.
DACE>
DACE
DACE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:42 am

It's interesting how my short bio inspired Z to write one and then open up this section of the forum.
I believe that we all have a story to tell and it really helps us to understand each other better.

I guess that's just the starting point for expanding some of this and giving more information not only about our own backgrounds but also about our musical preferences and maybe gigs that we have been to or played that have touched us in some way.

Suddenly people no longer become just a name in a forum but somebody you feel that you know more about.

Lets try to keep it mainly about music though unless you think something else is relevant. After all that's why we are here and it is what brings us together Smile

Long live the Fortress.....One for ALL and ALL for One!!!!.............Sorry I got carried away Very Happy
globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

http://www.globaltrancemission.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  z Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:50 am

globaltrancemission wrote:It's interesting how my short bio inspired Z to write one and then open up this section of the forum.
I believe that we all have a story to tell and it really helps us to understand each other better.

I guess that's just the starting point for expanding some of this and giving more information not only about our own backgrounds but also about our musical preferences and maybe gigs that we have been to or played that have touched us in some way.

Suddenly people no longer become just a name in a forum but somebody you feel that you know more about.

Lets try to keep it mainly about music though unless you think something else is relevant. After all that's why we are here and it is what brings us together Smile

Long live the Fortress.....One for ALL and ALL for One!!!!.............Sorry I got carried away Very Happy

Big smile. Yeah, I would love to hear about gig stories, and other musical experiences that shaped us.
Glad you think this is a good idea. Some of my favorite people hang out here. cheers

Z
z
z
Admin

http://atomicforcerecords.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GinjaBug Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:23 pm

i've been a fan of GT's music since 2004...i love the goa and acid trance stuff the best. Very Happy
GinjaBug
GinjaBug

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=693311

Back to top Go down

Post  globaltrancemission Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:19 am

GinNger wrote:i've been a fan of GT's music since 2004...i love the goa and acid trance stuff the best. Very Happy

Thanks GinN..........Sorry to say that I no longer make Dance tracks.

As Global Trancemission I have moved on to Ambient and Soundscapes quite some time ago.

I now have another project too called Darkstarcruiser which is Space Rock / Psychedelic Rock where I use guitars with the synths. I was playing guitar long before I started using synths.

Just to take you back though here's the very first GT track to ever go online which was on Besonic in 1999.

This is Heliotropic and if you like Darude's Sandstorm then you may notice a similarity.

globaltrancemission
globaltrancemission
Admin

http://www.globaltrancemission.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  GinjaBug Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:54 pm

i am going to listen tonight. i love darude...they've had a big influence on my sound. sandstorm is still a great dance track! i remember it came out when i was in high school...when i used to club way back when, that would be the first song i'd request, since it was still popular at the time. it always brings me back Very Happy !
GinjaBug
GinjaBug

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=693311

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down